Sudan’s army on Friday called for reservists and retired soldiers to re-enlist amid a deadly conflict with a rival paramilitary and asked the United Nations to change its envoy to the country.
The call to former soldiers to present themselves at their nearest military base looked aimed at strengthening the army in its battle with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary but may add fuel to the conflict days into a truce.
Sporadic fighting has continued all week, though the ceasefire monitors Saudi Arabia and the United States said earlier on Friday that compliance was improving, but the army moves may indicate it is gearing up for a long conflict.
An army spokesperson said enlistment would be voluntary. Sudan’s existing armed forces law says, however, that retired soldiers remain as reservists, eligible for compulsory re-enlistment.
That does not include those who only did Sudan’s mandatory two-year military service.
Army leader Abdel-Fatteh al-Burhan wrote to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday asking him to replace his envoy Volker Perthes, sources in the Sudanese presidency said.
The sources did not give details but Perthes, who was appointed in 2021, had pushed a political transition to civilian rule that some in the army opposed.
“The Secretary-General is shocked by the letter,” U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Friday. “The Secretary-General is proud of the work done by Volker Perthes and reaffirms his full confidence in his Special Representative.”
Army sources said the military had also intercepted weapons smuggled into a Red Sea province of Sudan by a foreign country, without giving details.
The army and RSF began a seven-day truce on Monday intended to allow access to aid and services after battles since mid-April that have killed hundreds and created a refugee crisis.
Despite a drop in fighting, there have still been reports throughout the week of clashes, artillery fire and air strikes.
Saudi and U.S. representatives “cautioned the parties against further violations and implored them to improve respect for the ceasefire on May 25, which they did,” it added.
Residents of Khartoum who have stayed in the city suffer from breakdowns of electricity, water, health and communication services.
Many homes, particularly in well-off areas, have been looted, along with food stores, flour mills and other essential facilities.