The German goalkeeper has a point to prove to his national team and tonight’s game could serve him well with hopes to extend his unbeaten run and keep his first clean sheet of the season.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen is certain to start against Atletico Madrid and here’s why tonight’s game will be extremely important to the German goalkeeper.
Jan Oblak duel
- This season, Ter Stegen and Atleti’s shot-stopper Oblak have conceded 2 league goals each but the German has missed 6 games after knee surgery.
- The Slovenian won the Zamora trophy for the best La Liga goalkeeper in 4 consecutive seasons which may serve as extra motivation for Ter Stegen.
- The Barca goalkeeper has never lost to Atleti in 9 La Liga games he’s played.
- In other competitions, the German has suffered just 1 defeat – in the 2015-2016 Champions League quarter-final.
First clean sheet of the season
- Marc hasn’t yet kept a clean sheet in the first 2 games since his comeback from a knee injury.
- He is certainly eager to do it as soon as possible: last season, it took Ter Stegen 7 league matchdays too keep a clean sheet.
Hitting best form already
- Ter Stegen has only featured twice for Barca this season, delivering 2 match-winning displays.
- He has made 10 saves combined in the games against Dynamo Kyiv and Real Betis.
Euro 2020 looming
- Manuel Neuer conceded 6 goals for the first time in his career as Germany got thrashed by Spain in the latest UEFA Nations League fixture.
- After spending the disastrous 2018 World Cup on the bench, Ter Stegen doesn’t want to repeat the same scenario so it’s time for him to prove a point to the national team.