Afriupdate News
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Home
  • NewsNew
    • Headlines
    • Africa
    • Nigeria
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
  • Life
    • Beauty
    • Culture
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health & Wellness
    • Love and Relationships
    • Travel and Places
    • Music
    • TV Series
    • What’s New
  • Sports
    • Boxing
    • Football
    • Tennis
    • Other Sports
  • Business
    • Insurance
  • Technology
    • Social media
    • Gadgets
  • Features
    • Guide & Tips
    • Jobs
    • Scholarship
    • Reviews
    • Opinion
  • Submit a News TipGot Tips?
GET NEWS ALARTS
No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
Afriupdate News
No Result
View All Result
Afriupdate News
No Result
View All Result
ALERTS
  • News
  • Headlines
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Features
  • Life
  • Sports
  • Technology
ADVERTISEMENT
Home Sports

Djokovic motivated by talk of catching Federer in Slams

Abraham by Abraham
August 25, 2019
in Sports
0
Djokovic motivated by talk of catching Federer in Slams
Novak Djokovic of Serbia (Photo by Johannes EISELE / AFP)

Top-ranked defending champion Novak Djokovic takes inspiration from talk he could pass Roger Federer for the all-time record total of men’s Grand Slam singles titles.

The 32-year-old Serbian star sees, however, all the work yet to come before that happens, even as he prepares to chase another crown at the US Open starting Monday in New York.

“I’m aware of it, of course. I mean, I’m part of this world. Of course I can’t completely switch off and eliminate what people are talking about. And it’s flattering, obviously,” Djokovic said.

“But at the same time, it’s still a very long way ahead of me. It does also put a certain level of responsibility to me as well, because I’m aiming to do that. You know, it’s definitely one of my ambitions and goals.

MORE FROM AFRIUPDATE

Serbia’s Novak Djokovic kisses the grass as he celebrates winning against Italy’s Jannik Sinner during their men’s singles semi-finals tennis match on the twelfth day of the 2023 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on July 14, 2023. (Photo by SEBASTIEN BOZON / AFP)

‘Ultimate showdown’ as Djokovic, Alcaraz clash for Wimbledon title

July 16, 2023
Serbia’s Novak Djokovic reacts as he competes against Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov during their men’s singles match on day six of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 21, 2023. (Photo by Martin KEEP / AFP) / — IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE — – — IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE —

History beckons on Djokovic for 23rd Grand Slam Title

June 11, 2023
Novak Djokovic (Photo by Marco BERTORELLO / AFP)

Djokovic hoping to hit top form on clay after Banja Luka exit

April 22, 2023
Djokovic reclaims the No.1 position from Alcaraz

Djokovic reclaims the No.1 position from Alcaraz

April 3, 2023
ADVERTISEMENT

“Things are a little bit different than they were ten years ago, but I still feel young inside and outside. And I still am very motivated to keep going… especially now, more or less everything is about Grand Slams.”

Djokovic, who defeated Federer in an epic five-set Wimbledon final last month for his 16th Grand Slam crown, remains four behind the 38-year-old Swiss star’s mark, with Spaniard Rafael Nadal between them with 18 Slam trophies.

But Djokovic is on a roll, having won four of the past five Slam singles titles, including a victory over Juan Martin del Potro in last year’s US Open final. It was his third US Open crown after 2011 and 2015.

Djokovic, who launches his 2019 campaign on Monday against Spain’s 76th-ranked Roberto Carballes Baena, says his success at night before the loud and raucous fans in Arthur Ashe Stadium has helped him thrive in New York.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’ve not lost too many matches in my career playing night session,” he said. “So I really do enjoy that loud atmosphere that happens in there.

“You just adjust to it. You adapt to it. You accept it. You embrace it. I do embrace it because I think it’s good for our sport to have various different atmospheres on the center courts of four different Slams.”

Gimelstob exit ‘best’ 
Djokovic also addressed an issue that sparked friction between himself and players on the ATP Council for not ruling out a possible council return by disgraced former player Justin Gimelstob.

The American pleaded no contest to assault charges in Los Angeles earlier this year for attacking a man in front of his wife and children at Halloween in 2018.

“He has taken the responsibility for his actions and what has happened that night,” Djokovic said Saturday. “So he went back to deal with this himself. Obviously there is a lot of work in his private life that needs addressing. And that’s all there is.

“You know, he’s not part of the ATP political system at the moment, and I think it’s for the best for all of us. What future holds for him and for us, we don’t know. But I’m still in touch with him. He’s going to try to handle this matter in best possible way. I really wish him all the best.

“It’s unfortunate that that has happened. Because I think he was a great asset, as I was mentioning in Wimbledon and before, for the players. But he has taken the responsibility.”

Djokovic praised the arrival on the council earlier this month of Nadal and Federer, marking the first time the world’s three top players have been on the board.

“There has already been a big impact on the rest of the players… knowing that these two guys are willing to contribute, to come in to help out, to support, to participate in discussions and some decision making,” Djokovic said.

“All I hear from other players is positive comments about it. And it went well. They were very engaged. So looking forward to work with them.”

Follow our socials Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google News.

Related topics: Novak DjokovicRoger Federer
ShareTweetSendShare
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post

Exposing the Beauty in Black: A Review Of “Brown Skin Girl”

Jaja of Opobo: The Slave Boy Who Became King

Sudan needs $8 billion in aid to rebuild economy

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact us
  • Advertisement
  • Privacy Policy

© 2023 Afriupdate News. All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign In with Google
Sign In with Linked In
OR

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Sign Up with Google
Sign Up with Linked In
OR

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Sign Up
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Headlines
    • Africa
    • Nigeria
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
  • Life
    • Beauty
    • Culture
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health & Wellness
    • Love and Relationships
    • Travel and Places
    • Music
    • TV Series
    • What’s New
  • Sports
    • Boxing
    • Football
    • Tennis
    • Other Sports
  • Business
    • Insurance
  • Technology
    • Social media
    • Gadgets
  • Features
    • Guide & Tips
    • Jobs
    • Scholarship
    • Reviews
    • Opinion
  • Submit a News Tip

© 2023 Afriupdate News. All Rights Reserved