Afriupdate News
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Home
  • NewsNew
    • Headlines
    • Africa
    • Nigeria
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
  • Life
    • Beauty
    • Culture
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health & Wellness
    • Love and Relationships
    • Travel and Places
    • Music
    • TV Series
    • What’s New
  • Sports
    • Boxing
    • Football
    • Tennis
    • Other Sports
  • Business
    • Insurance
  • Technology
    • Social media
    • Gadgets
  • Features
    • Guide & Tips
    • Jobs
    • Scholarship
    • Reviews
    • Opinion
  • Submit a News TipGot Tips?
GET NEWS ALARTS
No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
Afriupdate News
No Result
View All Result
Afriupdate News
No Result
View All Result
ALERTS
  • News
  • Headlines
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Features
  • Life
  • Sports
  • Technology
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News Africa

Rwanda genocide suspect Kabuga ruled unfit for trial

AFP by AFP
June 7, 2023
in Africa
0
Rwanda genocide suspect Kabuga ruled unfit for trial
(FILES) This file photograph taken on May 20, 2020, shows a courtroom sketch of Felicien Kabuga, one of the last key suspects in the 1994 Rwandan genocide as he appeared publicly for the first time at The Court of Appeal in Paris.(Photo by Benoit PEYRUCQ / AFP)

UN war crimes judges ruled that ageing Rwandan genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga is unfit to stand trial but should still go through a stripped-down legal process, in a decision announced Wednesday.

Kabuga, who is 88 according to officials but claims to be 90, is a former tycoon accused of setting up a hate broadcaster that fuelled the 1994 slaughter of around 800,000 people.

Kabuga went on trial in The Hague in September last year, but judges said medical experts had now found that he had “severe dementia” and could not take part properly in court.

The International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals said in an order that it therefore “finds that Mr Kabuga is not fit for trial and is very unlikely to regain fitness in the future.”

MORE FROM AFRIUPDATE

Rwanda's incumbent President and presidential candidate for the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) Paul Kagame prepares to cast his ballot during the Presidential election at the SOS Kinyinya polling centre in Kigali, Rwanda July 15, 2024.

Rwanda’s President Kagame Re-elected In a landslide

July 18, 2024
Britain’s Prime Minister Rishi Sunak (2R) reacts during a visit to a bus depot in Harrogate, northern England on February 12, 2024. (Photo by CARL RECINE / POOL / AFP)

UK’s Rwanda plan incompatible with rights obligations: Lawmakers

February 12, 2024
(FILES) Rwandan doctor Sosthene Munyemana (L) arrives with his lawyer Florence Bourg (R) at the Paris courthouse for his trial on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity during the 1994 massacres in Rwanda, on November 14, 2023. – A Rwandan former gynaecologist is on trial in France since on November 14, 2023 on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity during the 1994 massacres in his home country, in an investigation stretching back nearly three decades. It is one of France’s longest-running cases, with Sosthene Munyemana to face justice at a Paris court nearly 30 years after a complaint was filed against him in the southwestern French city of Bordeaux in 1995. (Photo by ALAIN JOCARD / AFP)

French court jails Rwandan ex-doctor 24 years over 1994 genocide

December 20, 2023
(FILES) Togolese soldiers of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) patrol the road between Mopti and Djenne, central Mali, on April 28, 2019. – The UN mission in Mali officially ended ten years of years of deployment in the country on December 11, 2023, its spokesperson said.The mission, known as MINUSMA, lowered the United Nations flag on its headquarters in the capital Bamako, its spokesperson Fatoumata Kaba told AFP. (Photo by MICHELE CATTANI / AFP)

UN mission in Mali officially ends after 10 years

December 11, 2023
ADVERTISEMENT

Judges said they wanted to “adopt an alternative finding procedure that resembles a trial as closely as possible but without the possibility of a conviction.”

It was important to victims, survivors and the international community that the genocide crimes against Kabuga still be addressed in court, the justices added.

One judge dissented.

Prosecutors accuse Kabuga, once one of Rwanda’s richest men, of establishing hate media that urged ethnic Hutus to kill rival Tutsis and of supplying death squads with machetes.

ADVERTISEMENT

The businessman refused to appear in court or appear remotely at the start of his trial and has subsequently followed proceedings via video link from a wheelchair at the court’s detention centre.

– ‘Crimes against humanity’ –

The court first put the trial on hold in March over health concerns, having earlier dismissed bids by Kabuga’s defence lawyers to have him declared unfit to stand trial.

In their order on Tuesday, judges said three court-appointed medical experts had found that Kabuga’s mental abilities had “significantly deteriorated” since before the trial.

The Rwandan was, therefore, unable to follow what was going on in court, understand evidence, instruct his lawyers or testify, it said.

But the court said scrapping the trial altogether was “inappropriate”.

They stressed the “importance of addressing the crimes against humanity and genocide charges against him to the victims and survivors of those crimes, and to the international community as a whole.”

The idea of an alternative legal process had already been tried in some Commonwealth countries and would respect Kabuga’s legal rights.

Kabuga would not be required to attend the new legal process, the court added.

Kabuga was arrested in Paris in 2020 after decades on the run and sent for trial in The Hague.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges of being involved in an infamous Hutu radical radio station urging people to kill Tutsi “cockroaches” during the 1994 bloodletting.

He also denied supplying machetes and otherwise supporting the murderous Interahamwe Hutu militia.

Kabuga is one of the last Rwandan genocide suspects to face justice, with 62 convicted by the tribunal so far.

Another suspect, Fulgence Kayishema, appeared before a court in the South African city of Cape Town in May after being arrested following 22 years on the run.

Follow our socials Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google News.

Related topics: RwandaRwandan Genocide trialUNWar crimes
ShareTweetSendShare
ADVERTISEMENT
Next Post
People walk past a burned out car in Dakar, on June 5, 2023, as protest calmed down four days after a court in Senegal sentenced opposition leader Ousmane Sonko, a candidate in the 2024 presidential election, to two years in prison on charges of “corrupting youth” but acquitted him of rape and issuing death threats. (Photo by JOHN WESSELS / AFP)

Fallout from Senegal unrest hits economy

Apple reveals its 2023 Apple Design Award winners

Apple reveals its 2023 Apple Design Award winners

Congolese army soldiers.PHOTO: GORAN TOMASEVIC/GALLO IMAGES

Seven soldiers jailed for crimes in eastern DR Congo

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact us
  • Advertisement
  • Privacy Policy

© 2023 Afriupdate News. All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Sign In with Google
Sign In with Linked In
OR

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Sign Up with Google
Sign Up with Linked In
OR

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
  • Sign Up
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Headlines
    • Africa
    • Nigeria
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
  • Life
    • Beauty
    • Culture
    • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Fashion
    • Food
    • Health & Wellness
    • Love and Relationships
    • Travel and Places
    • Music
    • TV Series
    • What’s New
  • Sports
    • Boxing
    • Football
    • Tennis
    • Other Sports
  • Business
    • Insurance
  • Technology
    • Social media
    • Gadgets
  • Features
    • Guide & Tips
    • Jobs
    • Scholarship
    • Reviews
    • Opinion
  • Submit a News Tip

© 2023 Afriupdate News. All Rights Reserved