Nigerian chicken skewers are a very popular snack.
As the name implies, this chicken suya kebab consists of well-spiced chicken bits placed on sticks with onions and tomatoes spread between them.
To make this delicious snack, you’ll need:
- Chicken Breast or Thigh
- Roasted Peanuts o
- Groundnut Oil or Canola Oil
- Onion Powder or Fried Onion Flakes
- Ginger Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Suya spice
- Start by soaking the skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning while grilling.
- Next, wash and chop the chicken into bite-sized bits. Season with some salt, Maggi and chicken seasoning and allow to marinate for half an hour.
- Mix all the ingredients except the Groundnut oil in another bowl, then blend till smooth.
- Dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel to prevent them from being soggy. Then thread them one by one onto the skewers.
- Arrange the skewers on a roasting tray or oven rack and brush them over with oil.
- Smother the chicken with the blended paste, covering them properly. Cover the chicken properly and set aside for an hour if you’re using premixed spice.
- Place skewered chicken in a preheated oven and grill or bake for 30 minutes or until fully done.
- While they’re in the oven, remember to turn them over from time to time to allow them to cook on all sides.