Are you looking for another meal similar to pap to prepare that is not made from fermented corn or millet?
Kunu Gyada is a Northern Nigerian meal that can be substituted for pap/akamu. Unlike the other types of kunu aya and kunu zaki, kunu gyada is a light porridge gruel made from rice and roasted groundnuts.
The nutritional value of kunu gyada being high in folate boosts fertility in women. According to research, women who take 400 gm of folic acid daily before and during early pregnancy show a decline in the rate of babies having neural tube defects by almost 70%. It also reduces the risk of weight gain.
The process of making kunu gyada might just be the easy meal your home needs for a change.
- 150g raw roasted groundnuts (peanuts)
- 50g soft rice variety
- 600 mls water
- Dates or Tamarind/Tsamiya(Optional for extra sweetness)
Instructions To Note
1. The groundnuts should be soaked for 3 hours while the rice should be soaked for 8 hours.
1. Add in a blender the soaked groundnuts with 400ml of water and blend, then set aside. The rice should be blended separately with 200ml water and set aside.to blend.
2. Once blended and smooth, use a sieve cloth to extract the groundnut juice.
3. In a pot, pour the groundnut juice and cook on medium heat with continuous stirring to avoid sticking underneath the pot.
4. As that is being done, when brought to a boil, stir in the blended rice.
5. When brought to boil, add the tamarind juice to the mix.
6. Keep stirring until it cooks properly then it is ready to be served with any condiment of choice (bread, akara, fried, yam, fried potatoes)